A day late & dollar short, that kinda sums up this here blog. Made this concoction for the playoffs & it turned out way better than expected (I’m not one for the buffalo sauce).
Surprised that I really couldn’t find a meatball recipe that didn’t involve frozen Italian meatballs from the store, so just somewhat had to wing it on that end. Really try to do mostly whole foods when making these crocks – sometimes it doesn’t work out that way.
- 2 lb ground chicken/turkey
- 1.5 cups bread crumbs
- 2 carrots – finely diced
- 2 celery stalks – finely diced
- 2 egg – beaten lightly
- 2 cups buffalo sauce (Franks, is what I used)
- 4 oz blue chess crumbles
- 1 small container greek yogurt (4-6 oz?)
- 6-8 hogie buns (from bakery not crappy off the shelf – you have more self respect than that, right?)
Make it happen:
- Heat oven @ 450 degrees (sadly, you need to oven)
- In large bowl combine chic/turkey, bread crumbs, eggs, carrots, celery
- Form into 2 in. balls – yes, I said balls
- Cook in baking dish for 15 mins (might need to do a couple batches)
- Move the meatballs to crock pot & pour the buffalo sauce over
- Crock on low for 6-8 hrs.
- When ready to serve, put meatballs on hogie buns & broil for 1 min (for crisp buns, be careful!)
- Top with yogurt/blue cheese mixture
Yep, this is one of those amazing sportball slow cooker dishes. Just enough bad crap with some good mixed in there for good measure. Not scientific, but I believe taking out the frozen meatballs helps somewhat.
These were amazing – you could eat w/o the buns – so that is something. Great tasting main dish with the yogurt/blue cheese topping – you can eliminate if need be, but I wouldn’t suggest doing so.
P.S. swear I’m going to learn how to take good photos of food – there is an art to it & obviously I don’t possess that skill.