Have done some other breakfast crocks, but wanted to do a bit lighter one – a nice frittata like substance. Somewhat similar to an omelette, so I thought it would be a good change from the ones I’ve made before that have a bag of hash browns.
This is a fantastic breakfast dish that can feed 4 people & only takes about 3 to 4 hrs to cook.
- 10 eggs beaten (1/2 just the egg whites)
- 3 to 4 cooked bacon slices (diced up) – used pre-cooked, much easier
- 1/2 head broccoli chopped
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1/2 cup leeks sliced (Trader Joes has frozen sliced)
- 1/2 bag of spinach (2.5 oz)
- 10 cherub tomatoes sliced in 1/2 or 1 diced roma tomato
- 8 oz mushrooms fresh sliced
- 1/2 tblsp pepper
- 1 tblsp parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
Make it happen:
- Sauté the onions & garlic & throw the leeks in at just the last minute of sautéing.
- Spray the inside of crock with some cooking spray.
- Beat the eggs up real good, pour into the crock.
- Dump the rest of the ingredients in spreading out evenly.
Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours – check to make sure the the eggs have cooked thoroughly.
Verdict: was quite surprised with this one, cooked up very light & with great flavor. Didn’t use the cheese, but you can & I’m sure that it will up the taste. Great for an early game day or lazy Sunday.
P.S. – R.I.P my old crock pot that died 10/26/2013 – you will be missed. Now I have a brand new 7 qt cook & carry – invite me now, NOW, to your holiday party: dishes & dips will be brought!