Welcome back to me & the slow cooker. Definitely been a while, but I aim to do a lot more posts. The other item that I need to address is my food photography.
There is some sort of art to this & I’m going to do my best to make the dishes appear to be more appetizing. In the past I’ve just went for the “whatever” mode & am going to try to change my ways after this post.
Picked up some chicken sausages via my favorite store display “Managers Special”. Had some whole wheat pasta that needed to be removed from cabinet – so begins the newest slow cooker dish.
- 4-5 mild Italian chicken sausage links (prefer hot, but this is was a $1.43 “managers special”), sliced at 1 3/4″
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into 2 to 3 inch long strips
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into 2 to 3 inch long strips
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced into slivers
- 1 yellow onion, thin sliced & halved
- 8oz of Agaricus bisporus (crimini) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 sm can (14oz) can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 lg can spaghetti sauce (just got the cheap stuff)
- 1 Tbsp of dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 pkg spaghetti
Saute the peppers, garlic & onion until semi-soft. Throw the sliced sausage in there until just browned – doesn’t need to be cooked thoroughly as the slow cooker will do the rest of the work.
Throw ingredients in crock (besides spaghetti – don’t be stupid!) & set for 8 hrs.
Just before ready to eat cook spaghetti per instructions on the box.
Put pasta on plate, pour some stuff from crock over it & serve with a baguette.
Experience: this was quite good – tons of flavor & just the right amount of sausage to sauce ratio.
A ton of leftover sauce – frugal as I am, threw that in a freezer bag for later use.