So I’m going the way of the Paleo eating & cutting out some of the gluten (I know a bit trendy), but I need to lose a tire size or two for my Costa Rica vacation @ end of Jan. along with an nice back waxing.
This dish is pretty darn easy & if you’re able to stick around to put the veggies in at the half way mark to keep them crispier. A big plus is that you can use the food in a few different ways – put it in omelet, eat out of a bowl or throw it on a tortilla.
The trick to this is time cooked & slicing the meat pretty thin.
- 2 lbs boneless sirloin or flank (sirloin is cheaper) – slice 1/8″ thick
- 1 whole lemon, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tblsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tblsp pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 cup cilantro, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 3 chipolte peppers w/ sauce, blend in mixer/processed
- Put meat in crock
- Mix lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, chili powder, jalapeño, cilantro & chipolte together – then stir in w/ the meat
- Cover with onion & diced tomatoes.
- Set on LOW for 6hrs – at the 3hr mark – add the bell peppers (doing so keeps them from getting too mushy)
Great crock & comes out with a lot of flavor. Depending on the meat choice – flank vs. sirloin – the meat will either stay together or fall apart (sirloin tends to fall apart). Also, if you don’t like the heat – use 1/2 the chipolte & 1/2 the jalapeño.
Sides: Guacamole, cheddar cheese, sour cream, tortillas or whatever else you think is proper.
I made this to keep on hand for quick easy meals & throw some guacamole on top for a good time.
*Sorry for un-meal photo, but was just cooking to eat later.