*(according to a limited test group)
What can I say – I know chili. Ok, I don’t really know what the hell I’m doing & just kinda wing it.
There are some core ingredients that you have to have & you just play around with ancillary ingredients. Can I get an amen that this is how it is done?! Talked some sh*t that my slow cooker chili was better than someone else’s & hence came the chili throw down.
All of the chilis were amazingly different that is for sure – meat only, veggie, Cincinnati (?), etc., but it was nice to put all of them together to see how different folks interpret what they come up with.
Props to Greg for providing space for us to do so & to Josephine & John for great trophies!
Main ingredients (from memory!):
- 2 cans kidney beans (drained)
- 1 can black beans (drained)
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 can Ro-Tels tomatoes/green chilies (undrained)
- 1/2 lb lean grd. beef (cooked)
- 1/2 lb grd. pork (cooked)
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tblsp ancho chili powder
- 1 tblsp chili powder
- 2 chipotle chiles (blended w/ 1 tsp sauce) – this was a last minute add on, but was just perfect for smell & slight kick
- couple of good grinds of pepper
- Put all ingredients in the crock & set on LOW for 8hrs
- I find if you are around while cooking, to put on HI @ 6hr mark for hour & then last hour set on WARM – this lets the last of the liquid cook off & set-up so that you don’t have a ton juice. Personally, I like my spoon to stand at attention when putting it in bowl.
- 4-cheese / mexi blend shredded cheese
- nice dollop of sour cream or greek yogurt
- diced up green onions
- regular saltines – you have to have this for sure for dipping & palette cleanser
Note: This was not too spicy hot – so that everyone could eat it. Would have added another 1 or 2 chipotle peppers, but I like to sweat it out (pussies beware!).
Thanks to everyone who came out on a nice day with tons of sides, rhubarb desserts (love me some rhubarb) & Shocker talk (to each their own sickos).
Rock out with your trophy out!