This one brings me back to my childhood. Mom would make this dish every so often & I remember how excited my dad would get. We (me & my sis), on the other hand, did not get all worked up about Stuffed Pepper night. That smell of the peppers cooking in the electric skillet was not appealing in the least.
Now look at me! My tastes have since refined & decided to give this one a shot because it sounded easy & green peppers are sorta cheap.
- 4 medium green bell peppers
- 1 lb. ground beef, lean
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice (used fancy brown rice medley)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tblsp black pepper
- 1 can Ro-Tels tomatoes
- a few dashes of red pepper flakes
- (should have added some worcestershire sauce, but didn’t – next time)
Make it happen:
- mix beef, onion, rice, and seasonings together
- cut tops off of peppers and hollow out any seeds
- stuff peppers with equal portions of beef mixture
- place stuffed peppers in crock
- cover and cook on LOW for about 6 hrs
Was pleasantly surprised how this turned out. The green peppers had an amazing flavor to them from sitting in the crock all day long. I wouldn’t go so far as saying “roasted” flavor, but pretty damn close.
The beef…as mentioned, could have used some more flavor. Think if I’d have added the worcestershire that would have helped, along with trying to spell that bloody word.
I’ll give it a good rating as this seemed nostalgic & the pepper parts were super delicious.