Whew… if this isn’t out of my wheelhouse I don’t know what is. Trying to spread my foodie wings & fly like an eagle – until I’m free. Couldn’t help that one. The fruit vs. savory on this one was way out of bounds, yet I felt a need to make it my own by throwing the original recipe a curve & adding a few items that were not called for. In essence, I parried. Plus according to some, I’ve been usurped by a dude doing some sort of hand job at his house or something (props to the name)…that is beside the point. Onward!
The original is Gingery Carrot Soup w/ Orange & Parsley
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped up
- 3 tbsp ginger root, minced (that is hard to do btw)
- 1 tbsp grated orange zest
- 1 tbsp rough graded peppercorns
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 6 thinly slice lg carrots
- 4 cups chicken stock (or veggie)
- 1 1/2 fresh squeezed orange juice (are you kidding! just buy high grade oj w/ pulp)
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped up all nice
- 1 or 2 handfuls of fresh spinach
- 1 chopped red pepper
- tad bit of salt
- 1 can (14/15 oz) Coconut milk
Let us get it started:
- Put onions in skillet w/ olive oil & cook until softened ( 3 mins ). Stir in ginger root, orange zest, black pepper & bay leaves & cook for extra 1 or 2 mins. Once done, throw in slow cooker.
- Add carrots & chicken stock – stir that thing up!
- Cook on LOW for 8hr or HI for 4hr. At end of that time stir in Orange Juice, parsley & red pepper. Cover & cook for 30 mins longer on HI. Remove the bay leaves at end of the 30 mins.
- Puree. If you’re like me & don’t have one of those fancy pants immersible blender things – then just work in batches in a regular blender. Transfer back to slow cooker. Add 1-2 handfuls of spinach & 1/2 cup of coconut milk. Cover & cook for 30 mins+ longer on HI (until spinach wilts a bit).
- At the end – put in bowls & drizzle with some coconut milk to make it all pretty.
- Serve w/ a nice crusty bread for some dipping!
Well, well, well aren’t we all Downton Abbey there gov’ner? With your puree’d soup & crusty bread.
Admission – this was damn good. Would serve this as a small bowl before a light meal (but could go for main dish if thats what you’re into). For you veggies & soup connoisseurs this is flavorful, smells excellent & visually appealling.
Good day to you sir. I said good day (audible snort & turn back whilst putting monocle back in).