Supposedly black-eyed peas are good luck for the new year – I’m willing to put this to the test. There are an ass ton of recipes out there about this dish & I hated them all for the most part (jk). Like my other dishes try to find something that can be altered, changed or updated. For instance: one of them mentioned DelMonte – haven’t seen that label/company since moving out to PNW, so must be a midwest thing.
A lot of them called for ham hocks (which were a staple while growing up), but had done this already & wanted to take the “hock” level down a notch.
- 1 (16 ounce) bag dried black-eyed peas (pre-soaked overnight)
- 1/2 pkg hardwood smoked chicken sausage (hillshire one that looks like horseshoe turd)
- 1 can ro-tel (diced tomatoes & green chilies)
- 1/2 (3 oz?) can pickled jalapeños
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 2 stalk celery, chopped (seriously, if you didn’t chop it walk away from kitchen)
- 3 slices cooked bacon, diced up (see above)
- 1/2 tblsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- a few dashes of hot sauce (frank’s red hot)
- This is where it gets tough – combine all that shit & put in slow cooker – set controls for the heart of the sun, wait that is something else, set on LOW for 8hrs.
- Collard greens w/ bacon – freaking delicious. Recipe here.
- There was a mention from the cheap seats that a nice crusty bread should have been involved for sopping purposes. That was quickly waved off as – next time bring your own damn crusty bread.
My hopes weren’t to high for the black-eyed peas (insert joke about the hip-hop group here), but damn if this didn’t turn out excellent. The dish had JUST the right amount of kick from the jalapeños to make it spicy, yet not too spicy. In layman’s terms – got a bit of sweat on the brow from eating, but not enough where a dish towel was needed to catch the flop sweat.
Lastly, honorable mention goes to: Pussy Liquor, my new favorite drink.
- 2 oz Seagrams 7
- ice cubes
- Squirt – didn’t even know they made this anymore
- mix it in a glass
Hope this finds you all well & sticking to your revolutions (joke – google it) for the new year. Mine are to do all the bad things from last year ten fold!
On serious note, one of mine is to put up some videos of the crocking process that we do here at Casa del Crockhole. Watching 8hrs of simmering is as compelling as it sounds & its gotta be funnier than drunk kitchen girl (faker).
Rock Out With Your Crock Out, please.