Hey folks, week late post, but made promise to myself that I’d keep this up.
Wanted to do some sort of soup in the crock & felt like I needed some type of dish w/ some gumption so I landed on Clam Chowder. This is one of my all time favs. I don’t so much consider it in the soup philum (thinking more of chili w/ clams & milk). So, that doesn’t really make any sense, none the less – love me some clams (no sexual innuendo here).
This is pretty much a painless operation to make this chowder happen. I was going to get all foodie on your asses, but lost all my will & just wanted to eat some chowder. So here goes:
- 2 small cans clams – don’t drain
- 1 package bacon – center cut works best w/o fat fatty fat fat
- 1 medium onion – diced as small as you can
- 3 potatoes – cubed kinda small
- 1 cup water
- 1 tblsp pepper
- 1 cup 1/2 & 1/2
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tblsp red pepper flakes
- cook bacon – this is for the best so you don’t get botcholism (crumble the bacon after cooking)
- put bacon & clams in crock
- add rest of stuff – execpt for 1/2 & 1/2 & milk
- cook on HIGH for 3 hrs
- in the last hr: stir cornstarch into the 1/2 & 1/2 & milk – then add to crock
- turn crock to LOW for 1 hr
Serve w/ hot biscuits (I just did the flakey pilsbury ones – always tasty & loaded w/ serious carbs)
Top w/ a sprig of parsley or cut up parsley & sprinkle over the top. This makes it fancy pansy.
Once again, this is almost better once it has sat a day & you have the leftovers cause ingredients have coagulated.